Board Certified Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Alex Khromov, MD, FAAPMR, is board certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation and fellowship trained in pain management. He completed his undergraduate training at Cornell University and earned his medical degree from St. Georges University School of Medicine. His residency training was performed at Albert Einstein Montefiore Medical Center in New York City, in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation.
He moved on to the central Florida region for further fellowship training at one of the largest multidisciplinary pain centers in the region, where he was named Associate Medical Director. His tasks included the treatment of over 150 patients per week using medical management, multiple spinal injection techniques, nerve blocks, and peripheral joint injections as well as proper preventative care and education. On countless occasions he was noted by patients and peers alike for his strong medical care and compassion.
Dr. Khromov conducts regular speaking engagements and lectures for colleagues and various healthcare workers. He is a member of multiple medical organizations including AAPMR (American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) , APS (American Pain Society) and ISIS (International Spine Intervention Society). He has active privileges at the Florida Hospital system in central Florida and Sanford Hospital and is accepted to multiple insurance plans including Medicare, BCBS, Aetna, Cigna, United Healthcare, and multiple workers compensation plans.
Dr. Kristeen Ortega is a Board Certified physician in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. She is Fellowship-Trained in Pain Management. Dr. Ortega completed her medical education at the Cebu Institute of Medicine, Cebu City, Philippines. She was Chief Resident physician during her Internal Medicine residency training and was a practicing Board-certified Internist.
She started at the New York Medical College Internal Medicine program in New York, NY before proceeding to Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation residency training where she served as Chief Resident physician in her final year, also with the New York Medical College PM&R residency program in New York, NY.
She was staff physiatrist at Jacobi Medical Center (a Level 1 Trauma Center and Stroke Center), and North Central Bronx Hospital in the Bronx, NY. Dr Ortega had both acute inpatient and outpatient responsibilities in addition to supervising and teaching resident physicians of the Albert Einstein PM&R program. Soon after she was became Medical Director of the Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit at the Westchester Medical Center at Valhalla, NY. Dr Ortega obtained extensive experience in the acute rehabilitation of patients with multiple trauma, stroke, spinal cord injuries, burns, debility, in this Level 1 Trauma, Burn Center, Stroke Center, and Cerebrovascular Center. Her additional duties included instruction/supervision of New York Medical College medical students. She enjoys teaching and has held academic appointments at the New York Medical College as Instructor of Rehabilitation Medicine, and Assistant Professor of the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine. She moved from New York to Texas, and was staff physiatrist at the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center in Fort Hood, Texas. She left Texas to pursue Pain Management fellowship training with the National Pain Institute in Florida. Dr Ortega practiced Pain Management and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in Longwood, Daytona Beach, and Ormond Beach, Florida before she joined Dr. Khromov at Sports and Spine Center in 2017.
- She was born in the Philippines and speaks the national language (Filipino) and two other regional languages (Waray and Cebuano) fluently.
- She graduated cum laude in her undergraduate studies in Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology. She was especially interested in Microbiology and Parasitology and if she could not be a doctor, "I could have happily worked all my life with my petri dishes, test tubes, and microscope."
- She has lived in several places including: the Philippines, southern California, New York City, Arkansas, Texas, Florida.
- She enjoys spending time with her family, attending dance parties and gatherings, trying new food and restaurants, and watching live performances.
- Her favorite form of exercise: "I find group classes very relaxing since all I have to do is follow along. I have been attending Zumba classes 1-2x weekly since 2001. I also used to attend boot camp and other high impact group classes regularly, but lately I find myself practicing yoga more."
- Her favorite subjects in school: "Literature and Physics."
- Her least favorite subject in school: "Math."
At Spine Sports & Pain Medicine, Dr. Alex Khromov and Dr Kristeen Ortega welcome patients who seek quality care in the management of their pain-related conditions, including proper diagnosis and management by
physicians with true compassion.
Regenerative medicine techniques using placental based tissue and live stem cells are now a part of our treatment arm as we strive to provide innovative break-thru treatments in improving the lives of patients in our community.
1565 Saxon Boulevard
Deltona, FL 32725